Managing Long Term Absence and the new Fit for Work service
Delivered in partnership with the Fit for Work service in Scotland
Learn the knowledge and skills to effectively handle long term staff absences.
Long term absence is costly for any organisation and can have a huge impact on productivity, morale, customer service and employee engagement.
In this course Acas and Fit for Work Scotland will show you how to deal fairly and effectively with cases of long term absence.
A case manager from Fit for Work Scotland will explain to you how the new service operates and will answer your questions about how the service fits into your current practices and procedures.
Get our top tips: we’ll be covering what you can and can’t do in managing long term absence and giving you practical advice in how to handle situations including complex cases such as stress-related absences.
Managers, Supervisors, Team leaders, Line Mangers, HR Professionals, Business owners, Trade Unions, Employee Representatives and anyone involved with managing long term absence issues.
This course aims to improve your knowledge and skills in handling long term absence.
We will look at best practice in absence policies, and the practical steps that you and your managers should be taking in managing cases of long term absence.
Delegates will also learn about the new free Government ‘Fit for Work’ service for employers and employees.
The session covers the following areas:
- The ‘Fit for Work’ service and how it will operate
- The law and the steps you need to follow
- Identifying the causes and the potential costs of long-term absence in your workplace, including stress
- Collecting data and information
- What to include in an absence policy
- Increasing confidence amongst your managers or supervisors
- Communicating with and responding to staff who are absent from work
- Holding informal meetings and return to work interviews
- Considering reasonable adjustments
- Terminating employment due to long term absence
Holiday Inn Edinburgh City West
(opens in new window)
09:30 - 16:00
£170.00 per person
Please note our training events are VAT exempt
To book now
Max of 4 delegates per organisation. Please call Acas
0300 123 1150
if numbers exceed this or for more details about the training session.